A pioneering organisation in the field of youth development, the Kendra was set up by the Indian Youth Centres Trust with a view to:
- Orient the youth to the developmental process and enable them to participate I the process of nation building.
- Foster initiatives for unfolding the potential of youth through a constant process of self evaluation and self - exploration.
- Enable youth to acquire such knowledge, skills and techniques which will help them in their personal and social growth as well as foster in them a sensitivity towards problems in the community
- Promote national integration and international understanding by developing youth leadership and providing a forum for youth from diverse background.
- Promote regional co-operation and exchange between people of various countries.
- Promote research in youth work.